Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Register for a free global account (learn about it) |
Log in: (), globally (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1605
Karma: 29 (+30/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


Yes, he died pre proof and there was maybe ~150-200 doses all up.

People are pretty happy as he made a lot of brood cows and excellents and they have bred on. The breeders that used him, when they calved their Fabulons in kept asking if we had any left.

If people are disappointed they have not shown it.

---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
20/6/2013, 2:46 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1975
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


That great that people are happy more that his index doesn't show up very good.
20/6/2013, 2:57 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
holsteins Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

EX95
Global user

Registered: 11-2012
Posts: 530
Karma: 3 (+4/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


This is funny because the numbers and index seem wrong in this case when the breeders are happy and the bull you mentioned before bazza didnt work for you and im sure he had good figures.
 Just goes to show all the numbers doesnt automatically mean you get what you were hoping for.
And Fabulon- i know nothing about him but its like the genomics game now, limited semen from a sire and immediately hes in demand, look at snowman!!
Dreadful components and average health and type but hailed as a great one!
20/6/2013, 12:30 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1975
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


quote:

holsteins wrote:

This is funny because the numbers and index seem wrong in this case when the breeders are happy and the bull you mentioned before bazza didnt work for you and im sure he had good figures.
 Just goes to show all the numbers doesnt automatically mean you get what you were hoping for.
And Fabulon- i know nothing about him but its like the genomics game now, limited semen from a sire and immediately hes in demand, look at snowman!!
Dreadful components and average health and type but hailed as a great one!



Not really, fabulon has only 140 daughters in 70 herds. The herd with the most daughters has 8. That leaves a lot of herds with only 1 or 2 daughters. So most of these are saying this bull is great from milking only 1 or 2 daughters and many were only from their top cows. A couple of daughters from a bull doesn't really tell you anything.

I am also milking about 15 daughters of a fabulon son. They look ok and milk ok but the way it is at the moment half won't make it to second lactation.

Also our index seems terriblely unreliable compared to other countries.
20/6/2013, 16:53 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
holsteins Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

EX95
Global user

Registered: 11-2012
Posts: 530
Karma: 3 (+4/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


like i said fabulon-like the genomic sires now, only a few in each herd put on the best cows, impossible to get reliable proofs from the ones that are in short supply
20/6/2013, 21:55 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1605
Karma: 29 (+30/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


Fabulon is a 1998 bull. He got a proper distribution at the time.

In 2005 he sat at no 27 on APR looking at the May proofs.

Not sure what the fuss is that over 10 years after he was proven he isn't high on the index now?

---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
21/6/2013, 0:21 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1975
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


quote:

Craigalea wrote:

Fabulon is a 1998 bull. He got a proper distribution at the time.

In 2005 he sat at no 27 on APR looking at the May proofs.

Not sure what the fuss is that over 10 years after he was proven he isn't high on the index now?



Apart form his test proof the rest of his daughters are from top animals you would even expect him to have an inflated proof. His health traits are terrible. His index is terrible even for a 10 year old bull. Does he have any good sons? I know I avoid him in a pedigree now.

The problem with aussie bulls in general is health traits. They are useless compared to overseas alternatives. Production is usually good and type is ok.
21/6/2013, 0:33 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1605
Karma: 29 (+30/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


His cell count is 122 with is pretty ok so you cant really say his health traits are all bad. Fertility is the major hole in his proof, and that was when there was less emphasis on that trait. Hindsight is 20/20.

I was wondering with his fertility though. I know a heap of those cows were kept open for flushing for a long time, some were permanent flush cows as their eggs were worth more than risking the cow calving in again. I am not sure how much that may skew the proof with low daughter numbers? With only 143 production daughters not all of them will be in his fert proof. It would be in interesting case to look at.

---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
21/6/2013, 1:06 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1975
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


quote:

Craigalea wrote:

His cell count is 122 with is pretty ok so you cant really say his health traits are all bad. Fertility is the major hole in his proof, and that was when there was less emphasis on that trait. Hindsight is 20/20.

I was wondering with his fertility though. I know a heap of those cows were kept open for flushing for a long time, some were permanent flush cows as their eggs were worth more than risking the cow calving in again. I am not sure how much that may skew the proof with low daughter numbers? With only 143 production daughters not all of them will be in his fert proof. It would be in interesting case to look at.



Fertility and survival and he passes it onto his sons well. I will be lucky if half of my oranas make it to second lactation because I just can't get them pregnant. They milk and look fine. My willcoys died before even getting in the herd.


Last edited by bazza20, 21/6/2013, 1:19
21/6/2013, 1:17 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Redmaw Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

EX90
Global user

Registered: 01-2011
Posts: 151
Karma: 4 (+4/-0)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


Only have 5 Orana dgtrs mine haven't been bad, not as good as other bulls. Last few years I've been going thru hfr groups and generally poorer fert bull dgtrs don;t do as well on the synch programs.
2 of 5 held to Cidr AI program as yrlgs other 3 all got preg next round to Jer Bulls.
1st dgtr calved 27/3/12 and 9/3/13 and currently joined again she is out of L/Strike x Delroe x Bellwood.
2nd 27/7/12 due 26/7/13 1st serve
3rd 7/8/12 due 3/8/13 1st serve
4th 10/8/12 just joined was a bit dirty after calving
5th got a LDA so I got rid of her

Last batch Esquire's all held AI, all but 1 Delsanto held. Moilinrouge and Cardinal were just on avg. Cassini not a GA bull none held AI. Sandblast were good and Jurace not so good. It seems to be fairly consistant with Dtr Fert ratings. Whole group were just on under 70% this time have been up around 75 -78% before but alot more Holst hfrs in herd now.

Next batch should be interesting got Delsanto, Esquire, Jiffey Yonder and Jetfiinn, Crackajack, Janek plus a few other PT bulls. Proven vs Genomic. Elton, Eclipes and Larfalot as well
22/6/2013, 1:55 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 





You are not logged in (login)
Back To Top

Disclaimer: Any views expressed on this site are not necessarily the views of the owner or any of the sponsors of Cowtalk..

Google
WWW COWTALK