Runboard.com
You're welcome.

runboard.com       Register for a free global account (learn about it) |
Log in: (), globally (lost password?)


Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1983
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


Aus is way way behind on health breeding. The Aussie index only changed a couple years ago from roughly 70% production based. A good 10 or so years behind the rest of the world. Lol. Even you can't deny this.

We were a 100% Aussie genetics herd for years with conception rates flailing around in the low 20% and still dropping. It only turned around when we 100% stopped using Aussie genetics.

Look at the Aus indexes own list for top fertility Bulls on the good Bulls guide. It's around 90% international Bulls.

If you want health traits don't pick Bulls from a country that has just started breeding for health in the last few years and for all that time tried to mostly avoid overseas genetics.

I said it before but Aus is only of the only countries that farmers use more overseas genetics than local product. There is a reason for that.
9/6/2016, 9:45 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1983
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Genetics Australia


I will add that the Aus average production is around 5500lt. So maybe the Aussie breed Bulls have good fertility at this production level and craiglea is right.

For higher production levels I wouldn't trust the figures. I used the Aussie health king bullbar. Most didn't make it past 2nd lact with fert problems. US genetics on 5500lt are on a starvation diet so fert probably isn't going to be great there.
9/6/2016, 9:52 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1622
Karma: 30 (+31/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re:


SanHaven is asking for Pasture based systems with some or limited grain fed, not full TMR/freestall etc Baz, he sent me a PM about it.

---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
9/6/2016, 9:57 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1983
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Craigalea wrote:

SanHaven is asking for Pasture based systems with some or limited grain fed, not full TMR/freestall etc Baz, he sent me a PM about it.



I'm on a pasture based system and fert of Aus bred cows is disgraceful.

I'm assuming he wouldn't mind some grazing farmers actual opinions as opposed to the advertising pitch.

Last edited by bazza20, 9/6/2016, 10:11
9/6/2016, 9:59 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1622
Karma: 30 (+31/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re:


You need to do whatever works in your herd. Even Planet hasn't worked in your herd, manure happens, he worked for other people. What matters is that you meet your breeding goal in your way.

I could cherry pick herds that experience the opposite to you and use that anecdotal evidence as a rebuttal. But that's a bullshit way to respond when I can put together lots of actual data. I had no idea how those figures I posted would turn out until I checked it. I thought it would run a little lower than it did, so I was surprised when the averages values are almost on par. If it wasn't that result I would have posted it anyway.

I have never said Australia didn't need to change it's breeding goal on the APR index. If you read what I have said in the past I agree it did, and yes it was late compared to others.

I just don't see why you feel the need to slag off Australian bred bulls any chance you get. I could set my watch by it. Are you going to tell Redmaw he's doing it all wrong?

I don't do sales pitches, I'm not a sales rep.

Last edited by Craigalea, 9/6/2016, 10:21


---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
9/6/2016, 10:19 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1983
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Craigalea wrote:

You need to do whatever works in your herd. Even Planet hasn't worked in your herd, manure happens, he worked for other people. What matters is that you meet your breeding goal in your way.

I could cherry pick herds that experience the opposite to you and use that anecdotal evidence as a rebuttal. But that's a bullshit way to respond when I can put together lots of actual data. I had no idea how those figures I posted would turn out until I checked it. I thought it would run a little lower than it did, so I was surprised when the averages values are almost on par. If it wasn't that result I would have posted it anyway.

I have never said Australia didn't need to change it's breeding goal on the APR index. If you read what I have said in the past I agree it did, and yes it was late compared to others.

I just don't see why you feel the need to slag off Australian bred bulls any chance you get. I could set my watch by it. Are you going to tell Redmaw he's doing it all wrong?

I don't do sales pitches, I'm not a sales rep.





Fact are the facts. Aus index only added decent amount health not long ago. Way way behind everyone else.

Most aus breeders moved away from Aus genetics. Why is that. Im guessing other are having similar experience to me.

I'm giving my experience of Aus genetics. I get better correlation from US proofs in my graizing herd. My explanation is that the Aus production levels are down at 5500lt.

So my advise is if you are producing in the 5000lt range maybe give them a look. If higher avoid.

I could set my watch by your advertising pitch. Difference being Im breeding and milking cows every day. I'm not getting paid by anyone selling semen. You try and make out I'm the only one in Aus bringing this up. People have spoken with what semen they buy. I'm in the majority here.

Last edited by bazza20, 9/6/2016, 10:40
9/6/2016, 10:39 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1622
Karma: 30 (+31/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re:


Lets have more facts then!

From the 2015 NHIA report the average for herd recorded cows, all breeds, is 6,979 L @ 3.3 F and 4.0 P

Refer here, page 13 onwards.
[sign in to see URL]%20Dairy%20Herd%20Improvement%20Report%[sign in to see URL]

The overall average from Dairy Australia is 5,730L this will be the estimated average including non herd recorded cows (about 40% are herd recorded).

Ref: [sign in to see URL]

Holstein average, from the NHIA report is at 7,494L @ 3.2%F and [sign in to see URL]% Protein.

---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
9/6/2016, 11:52 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1983
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


So I was right. 5500 Aus average.

Youre not actually getting excited about 7000lt for Holsteins are you.

I like how you avoid the other points all the time. Why exactly did everyone move away from Aus genetics. Like I said, I'm not in the minority here.
9/6/2016, 12:03 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
Craigalea Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Administrator
Global user

Registered: 12-2004
Posts: 1622
Karma: 30 (+31/-1)
Reply | Quote
Re:


Baz, please understand that there's certain topics I cannot discuss because of where I do work. The market share data I have seen (not from GAC) is a lot more complex than just x using x bulls because x reason as you suggest. I'm the one that gathers the data for GAC to submit for the reports. Correlation is not the same as causation. Would you rather I compromise my job for sharing things I cant?

Side note: you avoid points I make all the time.

I was stating facts, not getting excited, you cant base your assumptions off the 5500L figure you quote as those cattle are not in the breeding values.

---
Cattle art and bad cow puns: http://sketch-a-bull.tumblr.com/
9/6/2016, 12:15 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 
bazza20 Profile
Live feed
Blog
Friends
Miscellaneous info

Ex 97 2E
Global user

Registered: 07-2009
Posts: 1983
Karma: 30 (+32/-2)
Reply | Quote
Re: Re:


quote:

Craigalea wrote:

Baz, please understand that there's certain topics I cannot discuss because of where I do work. The market share data I have seen (not from GAC) is a lot more complex than just x using x bulls because x reason as you suggest. I'm the one that gathers the data for GAC to submit for the reports. Correlation is not the same as causation. Would you rather I compromise my job for sharing things I cant?

Side note: you avoid points I make all the time.

I was stating facts, not getting excited, you cant base your assumptions off the 5500L figure you quote as those cattle are not in the breeding values.



I'm not saying that everyone isn't using Aus genetics because of the exact reason I said but why did people move away from Aus genetics. Not becasue they were happy with the product is a pretty safe bet.
9/6/2016, 12:21 Link to this post PM via Email   PM via Forum
 


Reply

Page:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 





You are not logged in (login)
Back To Top

Disclaimer: Any views expressed on this site are not necessarily the views of the owner or any of the sponsors of Cowtalk..

Google
WWW COWTALK